The complex minds of some criminals are hard to understand. What, how, and why they think as they do are the topics that all behavioral scientists in the criminal justice field try to comprehend. The most important job of a behavioral scientist would be to create profiles of criminals or suspects. That might involve collecting data and information about the person in order to better understand them. Whether the person is a common criminal, murderer, terrorist, or just an employee of a firm, it is the job of a behavioral scientist to unlock the secrets stored away in the individual's mind. When there is an understanding of the suspect, and an understanding of how or why the suspect acts as he or she did, then it can become easier to prevent similar unwanted acts by others in the future.
Browse our Behavioral Science schools by State:ID | KS | NE | OR
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Human Services, Mental Health Administration Specialization
- MA in Human Services
- MA in Human Services, Not-for-Profit Management Specialization
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology
- Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry - Biblical Studies
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science
- And more...
- Human Services , AAS
- Human Services, BS
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
- AS in Human Services
- BS in Human Services
- BA in Psychology/Human Services
Advance your career. 100% Focused on Health Sciences.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (LPN to BSN)
- B.A. Human Development
- M.A. Human Development
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Associate of Arts in General Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- MA Public Policy: Campaigns and Elections
- MA Public Policy: Public Administration
- MA Public Policy: Middle East Affairs
- And more...
The jobs available to one graduating with a behavioral science degree may vary greatly. There are positions open in many fields ranging from work for government agencies, such as the FBI or Homeland Security, whether in the field or as an administrator who trains others, to positions in local police departments dealing with everyday criminals and murders. Other jobs that one may possibly obtain are work in prisons and in mental institutions for the criminally insane. Usually jobs such as these serve more as a learning experience for the new behavioral scientist, and the salary reflects that status. Expect a lower salary than even work for a government agency. However, jobs in the private sector pay higher. Look for a position with a large company that is in need of a behavioral scientist to provide counseling or social work to its employees or customers to earn a higher salary than federal government jobs. Whether you pursue a public or private sector career in behavioral science, the experience should prove to be insightful and filled with a lifetime of learning the ins and outs of the human mind.