What is the job outlook for Homeland Security Officers?
The job outlook to work in the department of Homeland Security is strong. This department is vital to protecting the interests of the country and it is very rare that cuts are made to this department. This does not mean that you will not be subject to transfers in order to maintain you job.
If you are interested in becoming an officer or agent for the Department of Homeland Security, you can work for a number of agencies within the department. The Secret Service, the Border Patrol, the Immigration and Custom Enforcement Agency (ICE), and the Coast Guard all hire agents or officers to work in the field of law enforcement on a regular basis.
The departments and agencies under the Homeland Security department are currently hiring more people on a regular basis. However, the positions of officer and agent are highly sought after, and it makes getting a job in any of these agencies very difficult. It is important to have excellent grades and a good work history in order to get hired in this competitive department. It is equally as important to be in good physical condition.
The hours are often long and the job requires a high level of commitment. In addition to attending a four year program, you will also need to complete a training program that is specific to each department or agency that the Homeland Security department is over. After the training, you will be assigned a job location. The benefits for people who work for the Homeland Security department are quite good. There is excellent health insurance and a good retirement package. There is also the opportunity to work overtime, which can increase your earning potential.
If you are interested in working for the Homeland Security department, but not necessarily in the role of agent and officer, there are many opportunities available to work in other supporting roles. The individual agencies all offer these types of opportunities, but there are agencies that do not hire officers and agents as well. These agencies include the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the Office of Inspector General.
Each of these departments has a wide variety of jobs available. The departments offer the chance to work with people or in a more behind the scenes role. All of the departments are looking for people with a background in computers. The type of job duties will vary according to the specific agency. You may work on emergency management or work to coordinate the efforts of the various agencies together. If you are hired at these agencies you will receive the same benefits packages as an officer or an agent that works for the other agencies in the department of Homeland Securities.
Schools OfferingHomeland Security Courses:
- MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Doctor of Management - Homeland Security (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice : Homeland Security
- Master of Science: Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Government - Pre-Law
- Master of Public Administration in Law
- Master of Arts in Law - Wealth Management/Financial Planning
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security
- Associate of Arts in Homeland Security
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
- Homeland Security Certificate
- Criminal Justice - Homeland & International Security (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, real-world faculty and innovative technology.
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: Homeland Security
Start your future now!
- Criminal Justice - Associate in Occupational Science
- Criminal Justice - Associate in Specialized Business