Providing Investigation Services Professionally
Parties who hire investigation services have certain expectations on how they should be treated and everything should be addressed. They want everything to be done professionally and feel that they are working with a reputable investigator and not a shady character. The best ways for investigation services to show they are professionals are similar to many businesses. The best way to express that professionalism to a possible client is to:
- Show that discretion is not a problem. The client’s case is kept between you, any of your pertinent staff, and the client. If you’ve ever met somebody who is a name dropper you know how annoying that is and possibly deterring. Private investigators need to know how to portray their experience and professionalism without giving away details of cases they’ve worked with before.
- Professional investigation services are able to verify their credentials and what makes them qualified to investigate. It is important for investigation agencies to be a part of professional groups and organizations related to their trade. These affiliations often show they are serious about their agency, like to keep current with information regarding investigative services, and are passionate about the job itself.
- Providing investigation services often requires the purchase of some serious equipment. Spyware is the slang term for it but it is not so far off. Since investigation services often require discretion and anonymity equipment that can help obtain the information an agency is being hired to get is important.
- When you provide investigative services you need to tell your clients specific information to make sure they do not have unrealistic expectations. Let them know the process and time frame it may take to get their information. Inform them of what roadblocks and obstacles may come up. You need to clearly define how you want communication to take place between the two of you. Obviously, you probably can’t leave voice mail messages with information and many times email is not a viable option either.
- Clarify what things you cannot do and can do right up front. If they are asking you to do something that is illegal you need to let them know that is not possible. Offer them a solution that falls within the legal boundaries of investigative services and tell them how that solution will get them information.
- Clearly show what the cost is involved with your investigation and state how payment is to be received throughout the process. The reason that this is important is that you are going to be putting some legitimate man hours into helping this client. You’ll probably have some sort of fixed expenses for certain items as well. The client does need to understand that you are getting them results and those results are worth a certain price regardless of what they are. For example, somebody believes a company is dumping toxic waste illegally and wants you to prove it because they want to shut them down. You find out that the company is not doing anything wrong by law and that the client does not have the case they want. They are not happy about it but you still did what you set out to do – your job is to find the answers for clients, not to build a case for them. You still deserve to get paid for all your exhaustive efforts and should.
Private investigation services are an opportunity to show that there is a tremendous amount of work, time, and dedication involved in investigating for people. Show that you are the professional and you will have a successful career as an investigator.
Schools Offering Criminal Investigation Courses:
- Private Investigation Services
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Arts in Financial Crime Investigation
What They’re Known For
Founded in 1946 and located in the heart of central New York, Utica College is a regionally accredited, independent, private institution that features many of the advantages of a large university — such as undergraduate and graduate degree options, excellent academics, and outstanding faculty — with the intimacy and high degree of personal attention more closely associated with smaller private institutions.
- BS in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- MS in Cybersecurity Management
- BS in Cybersecurity
Established in 1901, the College of Engineering and Computer Science has built a vibrant community of leaders with a reputation for responsiveness in meeting regional, national, and global needs.
- Master of Science in Cybersecurity
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose.
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Certificate/Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Information Technology /Cybersecurity
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) can help get you from here to a new career!
- Network Administration and Security - Associate of Occupational Science
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students.
- Computer Network Security / Forensics - AAS
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs.
- BS - Cyber Security and Network Engineering