How do I know if a career as a Homeland Security Officer is right for me?
A career as a Homeland Security officer is a prestigious one. These jobs are highly competitive and sought after by both college graduates and people who are already working in law enforcement. It is a career path that requires a lot of sacrifice.
Since the field is so competitive, it is essential to excel academically. Most of the departments only allow one opportunity to take the application test. If schooling is extremely difficult, and you have a difficult time testing, you may want to consider pursuing a job in another field of law enforcement.
It is important to have a desire to protect and help those around you. The Homeland Security department is focused on helping and protecting the citizens. In times of emergency your duties may shift to providing security or helping those around you to dealing with natural disasters and other similar emergencies.
Homeland security officers work long hours, and the shifts change on a regular basis. It is important that your body is able to easily adapt to this changing schedule. Physically fitness is essential and requires a desire to continue a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, you should have a clean criminal record, especially concerning drug use.
If you are seriously considering a career with the Homeland Security department, you may want to take advantage of the internships they offer to college students. These internships focus primarily on language immersion and can help you understand the job requirements and duties.
Additionally, it is important to stay calm under pressure, and be able to think clearly in difficult situations. These skills are vital since often your life and the lives of others may be in danger because of the situations that you are in. It is important that you fully grasp the risks that are associated with these jobs.
It is imperative to evaluate your long term goals, and the desires that you have to help others. If you have a family you will want to consider the way that it will affect them. Be sure your spouse is willing to make the same commitment to the long hours and changing schedules that you are.
If you feel that this option may not be the right one for you, there are several other options available to you. You may choose to work for the department of Homeland Security in a supporting role instead of as an acting officer. There are many opportunities available for engineers, computer programmers and other positions that allow for a more set schedule. If you are interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement, but do not feel that the department of Homeland Security would be a good fit, you can work for a city or state in their agencies.
Schools OfferingHomeland Security Courses:
- Homeland Security Management
- MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice : Homeland Security
- Master of Science: Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Doctor of Management - Homeland Security (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- And more...
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
- Master of Arts in Law - Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Law - Non-Profit Management
- Master of Arts in Law - Business Management
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security
- Associate of Arts in Homeland Security
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, real-world faculty and innovative technology.
- Denver - Master of Science - Management: Homeland Security